Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Be true to thine self

This year has been a real year of learning for me.  One of the biggest lessons that keeps coming across is to be true to myself.  No matter what.  I can not possibly make others happy if I am not happy. 

As women we are taught to "care" for others.  Is it really caring if I am feeling ragged and worn down while I am doing the good deed?  Giving selflessly and continuing to giving for no valid reason when you are not getting anything in return is never a good thing.  One must give in order to receive, yes, but there is a point where too much is given. 
It is important to take a step back and look a the whole picture.  Is this person taking and taking without giving back?  Am I taking and taking without giving back.  There must be a happy medium of give and take. 
If it doesn't feel good, don't do it.  Only give from an open, unattached heart. 

No one can make you feel bad about your true feelings and dreams.  If your hearts desire is met, no one can deter you from what you feel like you need to do.  No amount of fear, money, or anger can steer you away from what you were brought here to do.  If you deny yourself that right, you will be stuck in a vicious cycle of problems and accidents.  Doing something because someone else wants you to will never bring you true happiness.

Dr. Suess says:
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

Pakenham Beatty says:
"By your own soul, learn to live
And if men thwart you take no heed.
If men hate you have no care.
Sing your song, dream your dream,
Hope your hope and pray your prayer."

Neil Simon says:
"Don't listen to those who say, "It's not done that way." Maybe it's not, but maybe you will. Don't listen to those who say, "You're taking too big a chance." Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor, and it would surely be rubbed out by today. Most importantly, don't listen when the little voice of fear inside of you rears its ugly head and says, "They're all smarter than you out there. They're more talented, they're taller, blonder, prettier, luckier and have connections…" I firmly believe that if you follow a path that interests you, not to the exclusion of love, sensitivity, and cooperation with others, but with the strength of conviction that you can move others by your own efforts, and do not make success or failure the criteria by which you live, the chances are you'll be a person worthy of your own respect."

Affirmation for being true to self:I am a lover of my gifts.  I am present. I am forthright. I am honest. I am loving. I have responsibilities to keep. I have agreements to honor. I have a mission pressing at my back. I am here to please my heart. I am here to offer myself to the world-- to please my Creator and the Mystery, by growing into everything I am meant to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment